Monday, May 9, 2016

KIDS AND EMOTIONS

Kids have emotions, a lot of them. Most of them are because of age, but what about the emotions that come on from everyday life? Sometimes I feel that I do not give my kids time to deal with their feelings and often shake it off due to attitude problems or drama. For the past two weeks my oldest son has openly been expressing his emotions towards his up coming STARR test. My son is brilliant, brilliant beyond words. He started reading books at 18 months and has never slowed down. He's 9 years old and reads at an almost 9th grade level and his math is at an 8th grade level. So, I was just dumbfounded that he was so concerned. I mean, I was the one that struggled in school. I was terrible at it. I am the type of person that  should be scared of these tests. I barely passed the math portion to exit high school. I took it 4 times!!!! Then it hit me, he is scared to death of academic failure. My heart sank. Here is a precious child who is very aware of his gifts and yet it causes him so much stress. Although he has maintained an A Honor Roll all year, he is petrified that he will not pass the 3rd grade because of this test! I despise this test. I despise all standardized tests. For kids like me, for kids like my Reed. 

Last night my sweet son came up to me and asked if his daddy and I would pray over him. He does this when he is desperate. I knew this was a cry for help. As we were getting the boys ready for bed, I prayed for guidance. I prayed that the Lord would ease Reed's heart and fill him with confidence. I prayed, and the Lord answered. Use your emotions book and oils. YES!! Why was this not my first reactions to his feelings?!! So I pulled out my book and Reed, daddy, and I got to work. 
   He instantly seemed calmer. He was taking control of his emotions! How powerful is that?!! We found the alarm points and oils he needed and applied them. We tucked him, held hands and prayed over him. He passed out and slept. Praise the Lord!

We, as parents, say NO to our children far more than we say YES. We are here to teach them and raise them up in the Lord. That is our only purpose. So, why not give them a YES that can empower them. At 9 years old my son was taught to take control of his emotions by this one situation. I pray it continues. Yes, Reed, you may use any oil you want. Yes, Reed, you may use that book whenever you need. Yes, Yes, YES! Let's teach our children the powerful connection between oils and prayer!




Releasing-Emotional-Patterns-Essential-Oils- the book I was referring to.



No comments:

Post a Comment